Friday, October 22, 2010

Mind Over Back Pain

I previously mentioned my back went out a month or so ago. I’ll tell you the whole story, as it is less painful for me now. Both physically and emotionally.

I was helping my niece and nephew pain a room in their apartment. I hadn't actually painted much, so I decided to pitch in. I made about eight strokes of the roller when, SNAP! We heard a snap. I felt a snap. I felt a sharp pain. And the next thing I knew, I was face down in a platter of blue paint. Paralyzed. I mean, like, I couldn't move. My sister and nephew were stepping over me. "We have to finish, otherwise the paint will ruin

It took about two weeks to get back on my feet again after the back attack. I had another business trip planned. I’d better be ready. !" Snookie announced.

I just looked up at her from the floor in disgust.

It was pretty much all downhill from there for the next two weeks.

It was bad because I was at a new job and wanted to be on point, not laid up. So I was determined to get better. It was just taking so long!

I’d heard Howard Stern talk, for years, about Dr. John Sarno’s book, Mind Over Back Pain. Sookie had it. But I never read it. Howard had said that if you read the book your back pain will go away. I always thought that was pretty hard to believe. I mean, how could that be?

But I was becoming desperate.

Thought I’d read Sookie’s copy. But turns out I didn’t have it. She did. I thought she’d loaned it to me a couple of years back.

She called me. And started reading excerpts from the book to me over the phone. She’d said that it had described my attack, like to the ‘t’. She read on.

After the phone call, I decided to look the author up online. I was able to read some excerpts there. It was really interesting. I figured I had nothing to lose, so I ordered a couple of his books. Logged off and went over to my suitcase to pack for the following day’s trip.

I was sitting on the floor, next to my bag, packing..I was movin kinda slow. But I needed something a little farther away, but I didn’t want to get up. So I reached. Which could have been a painful proposition a while earlier.

Yeah, I reached. Got the thing and kept on packing.

After a few minutes, I did it again. Then I thought, ‘Why didn’t that hurt?’

It didn’t hurt!

I twisted right. Then left. It still didn’t hurt. ‘That definitely would’ve hurt minutes prior. Why doesn’t it hurt?’

I stood up. Still no pain.

Picked up the phone and called Sookie. Told her what happened. She was amazed too.

I was a believer. It was mind over back pain. And I felt better!

No comments:

Post a Comment