Friday, November 12, 2010

I Don't Know What it is, But I Got It!





Did you ever have one of those days when everything was going great? Well, I don’t get them often enough, but last week, I had one.

I was extremely busy at my new job that week. Team meeting was being held in Manhattan and folks were in from out of town and staying on the upper west side, so I was jetting around from one part of the city to the other.

I looked cute that day, but nothing really out of the ordinary. Mostly, I was sweating a lot because it was the end of October and something like 75 degrees outside. There are some days when I know I look fantastic and the day winds up like crap. Other days, not so much, and the day turns out terrific. So, it’s not a matter of looks or what you’re wearing I guess. But I know that when I feel like I look good or I’m dressed the way I like, or I’m having a great hair day I feel better and then I give off a certain vibe.

This day, everything was average; average outfit, average make up, average hair. I was, however, feeling good because I was doing some cool stuff with my job and I do enjoy flitting around Manhattan.

Oh, I guess I forgot to mention …

… one minute detail.

Shopping.

Bergdorf’s.


Yes, I know. I’m not supposed to be shopping. (Who died and made YOU the shopping police?) Let alone stepping my foot into Bergdorf Goodman. But I’ll tell you why I was there.

One of my co-workers was in town from Tennessee. I had promised her that when she came to town I’d take her shopping at Bergdorf’s. So, we carved some time out of our busy schedule to do it and we did.

Ahhh!

How amazing it felt to be back in my favorite store!

As I stepped through the revolving doors, entering the handbag department, I swam in the smell, the look, and the feel of the surroundings. Colors and sound and beauty everywhere. As I passed through the Chanel department, on my way to the escalator to the shoe salon, I stopped and scanned the merchandise. I was on the lookout for my 2.55 quilted turquoise metallic flap bag. It was no where in sight.

Then, I stepped onto the escalator. Headed to the shoe salon. As the escalator glided up, I could see more and more of the salon in my vision, on the horizon. Inch-by-inch. The Christian Louboutins are the first off the escalator. As they came into view, my heart raced more and more. I gasped a little when I arrived. Looked right and left at the hustle and bustle of the department. Beauty everywhere.

I waited for April to arrive at which time I proceeded to show her around. There’s a whole story about our little adventure at the shoe salon that day, but I will give you details in another post. All you need to know for now, is that April bought three pair of shoes…None of them under $795.

And I bought one.

Feeling guilty, we left Bergdorf’s, lavender bags in hand.

We had dinner plans in about an hour, but I needed to stop by my neighborhood to a) move my car b) change oh, and c) drop off my Bergdorf bag.

So, I moved my car and was entering my building, glowing I guess, from my purchase and from the great parking spot I just got. When I saw this cute guy from my building talking to the doorman. I say “hi’.

He says, “hi”. And “Wow! You look amazing! What did you do, get married or something? Is that why you look so fabulous?”

I was surprised this guy even spoke to me. He usually ignores me in the elevator. “No. Not that I know of.” And I kept walking.

“Why?” He asked.

“Because Anthony (the doorman) didn’t ask me.” I kept walking.

“Well. What about me?”

“You haven’t asked me either.”

“Ok then, Will you marry me?”

“Yes!” And I kept walking. Now I’m way past him half way down the hallway.

He kept talking. “Great!”

I turned back and yelled, “Since we’re engaged, what’s your name again?”

“Dan.”

“Mine’s BSM.”

“Hi!” Dan said.

Now I’m at the elevator. “See you at the wedding!” The elevator doors opened. I stepped in and they closed.

I giggled to myself. What was up with that?

Went in. Dropped off my purchase. Changed. Left.

As I passed Anthony on my way back out, I began ask him what the heck had just happened, when he handed me a business card. It was Dan’s! He had left it with Anthony for me.

I asked Anthony what Dan’s story was. “Is he a player?”

“He ain’t got no game to be a player!” Anthony replied.

I laughed and grabbed a cab to dinner.

At dinner, I told the ladies my story. I said to April, “Between Bergdorf’s and dinner, I got a marriage proposal!” I was taking out the card to show them it really happened, when I saw writing on the back of it.

Hi BSM

It would be nice to chat!

Dan

I said to April, “What’s going on today? I don’t know what it is!”

She snapped, “I don’t know what it is either, but you got it!”

No comments:

Post a Comment