Friday, November 25, 2011

Saks and the City





As previously mentioned, I’m in the market for a new Chanel bag. Ever since I returned my turquoise metallic quilted 2.55 Chanel flap bag, I have regretted it. I miss it very much.


Yada yada yada.


As a result of this obsession, I have a few stories.


I like to do my homework when I’m in the market for a purchase. So, I go shopping. One day I popped into Saks Fifth Avenue to take a look at the Chanel department. I was inspecting some of the cheaper bags. About $2200. Hmm. A bargain!


Suddenly, a salesgirl was on me. She was statuesque, blond, well dressed, face totally made up, and striking. Her name was Svetlana and she had a thick Russian accent. I made the mistake of telling her that I was looking for a classic flap bag. She ran away for a minute and came back with a black calfskin single flap jumbo bag with silver hardware. It was gorgeous.


She told me it was on sale. Only $4000.


Wow! What a deal!


Except I was looking for a jumbo black calfskin double flap with gold hardware. But it WAS a bargain. The one I wanted would be more.


It was lovely.


I looked at myself in the mirror for a while. And I looked good!


Svetlana needed to excuse herself for a moment to leave me with the Chanel. Before she left she warned, “Do not let go of the bag. People are looking at it.”


I had noticed that another salesgirl kept approaching Svetlana and whispering something, then looked at some other customers. Then walked away.


They were staring. Not at me.


At Chanel.


It was freaky.


And such pressure!


While Svetlana was gone, I was trying to figure out what to do. The bag WAS a good price. But it wasn’t exactly what I had wanted. For that money, it really should be exactly what I want. Right?


But then again, it was fabulous.


Maybe I should just buy it. The vultures are circling. Omg!


The other salesgirl was hovering.


Customers were still staring.


They were like zombies in a Dawn of Dead re-make.


I was sweating.


My heart was racing.


The other salesgirl passed and stared at me again.


As the time passed, I began to calm down a bit.


I thought, I need to either buy this thing or get the heck out of here. But do I have a credit card I can use? Do I have the money? No! Ugh!


If I leave now, I won’t have the pressure of Svetlana and her damn accent trying to convince me to buy this thing.


I kind of had a tiny angel on one shoulder telling me to leave and a red devil on my other shoulder telling me to buy it.


Damn them!


I put down the Chanel and hightailed it outa there.


As I exited the large double doors and stepped onto Fifth Ave.


I was able to breathe.


Holy shit, that was close!



No comments:

Post a Comment