Sunday, February 14, 2010

What’s shoes got to do with it 2?



… That definitely was NOT my last visit to Bergdorf’s shoe department. I dropped by again, alone. After the sale was over. The main designer shoe salon was lovely. I almost had the same Wizard of Oz moment the second time. That time, as the escalator slowly approached the second floor, in the horizon, I could gradually view the show salon, inch by inch. Breathtaking.


This time no sale racks. No shoe frenzy. No volchers, with 60% off Manolo Blanhiks as their prey. Just beautifully displayed shoes, grouped by designer. I spent hours just ogling the various styles. The same rush of excitement. I was hooked. This is where I belonged. This is what I deserved.


I made periodic visits. Some visits, I would just look. Others, I would try on. And others. .. Well, on other occasions, I’d BUY.


I usually make the Bergdorf runs alone. I don’t even tell my friends about it. I don’t think they know. But I did mention it to my sister and niece. In fact, we recently planned an excursion to the sale.


Even though I was finding it extremely dangerous for my wallet to go there at all, I found a rationale; I’d purchase several pair on sale, then re-sell them online for profit. I figured if I get shoes not in my size, I can’t wear them, only could sell them. So I entered the sale with a plan. Well, to be completely honest, I visited the sale the day before I was to attend with the family. Well, I needed to be sure the sale was still on, right? Didn’t want to drag them both there for nothing. Was just going to scope it out. Just take one quick skim around the sale for… research. Yea, research. But then I saw something. Something, well,,,um…blue. They were turquoise suede Manolo pumps. They were fabulous and they fit like butter. Only one pair in my size. On sale. 40% off. I could just leave them there until tomorrow. Someone would definitely buy them. It was absolutely impossible. AND I had a gift card. P. S. I bought them.


So the next day, I met my niece and sis there. At first, I really didn’t see anything I was interested in. I had already bought a pair the day before, so I really didn’t need more. You know, so I was just casually browsing the racks. It was a really big sale this time. I had seen a pair of light turquoise suede Christian Louboutin peep toe prive pumps in a size 39. Not my size. Whew. That was lucky. But maybe I should buy them to sell? Yea. I’ll grab ‘em.


Then I started to see some other wonderful styles. Some that fit me and some not so much. But I can always sell them online, right? All of a sudden I spotted the light turquoise suede Christian Louboutin peep toe prive pumps in a 40. Oh! They fit! Perfectly! But no. The color’s too light. The suede will get dirty too easy. I put them down. First rule of sale shopping; NEVER PUT ANYTHING DOWN YOU REMOTELY COULD BE INTERESTED IN AT ALL!


Because later on, I began to rethink those light turquoise suede Christian Louboutin peep toe prive pumps in a 40, and I went back to find them. They were gone! OMG!! NOOO! Someone discovered them and now they’re gone! I can’t live without them!! I started to panic.


I asked Charlie, the salesperson, if he could find them for me. He came back to inform me that they didn’t exist. I knew they did. What did he know? I knew the merchandise better than him at that point. I kept looking, but came to the realization that they were gone…bought… and I would never see them again. I guess I’ll just buy the 39’s just because they were so beautiful, even if they squished my feet so bad I’d never be able to wear them.


The group had split up, into our subsequent shoe size areas. I left my niece on one side of the sale (in the size 37’s) to look for my sister (in the 40’s). When, wait…. What? Is that?... is that light turquoise suede? Pick them up. Look on the bottom. 40?!?! YESSSSS! “I found them! I found them! This is them!” I held the shoe in my hand and fist-pumped it into the air. “I found them!” I screamed. My sister just blank stared me. Ran over to my niece, screaming. I saw Charlie. “Don’t even start with me Charlie! I found them!!” “Please get me the mate!!” Charlie blank-stared me, and ran off to find the mate.


My niece, on the other hand, who is a niece through marriage was flipping out at the scene. “Do it again! Do it again, so I can video it!!” she yelled, through her laughter. She wasn’t prepared for the drama of the Bergdorf Sale. She didn’t know me very well yet, but by the end of the excursion she was calling me Shoe Nazi!


I realize this may have been an overreaction. But that’s what shoe shopping does to me. Talk about a rush. A drug. Crack. There’s nothing like it. Powerful. An amazing feeling to walk out with two bags full of gorgeous Christian Louboutins!


Until I got the credit card bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment