Friday, July 16, 2010

It's a Twister/Toto I Don't Think We’re In Kansas Anymore




I arrived in Omaha. My mentor, Tara, was waiting for me at the door. I had to pick up my luggage there. From the sea of black leather computer bags, I picked up my turquoise and purple leopard print Betsey Johnson carry on. Tara said, “I figured that one was yours.” I only knew Tara for less than a day, and she already had me figured out.

We checked into the hotel and planned to meet for dinner later that night. I was waiting for her in the lobby, when I heard a very loud sound. Like a siren. I think it was coming from outside. No one was really bothered by it but me. I had my ears covered. When Tara came down, she snickered, “Maybe we better get a table in the basement.” I smiled, but didn’t know what the heck she was talking about.

Apparently, Omaha is notorious for tornados, and they were expecting one. The siren was a tornado warning from the city. When you hear that, you’re supposed to take cover. We were about to get in a car. I was like, “Maybe we should wait.” But no one seemed too concerned, including Tara, who was driving.

The sky was black. Ours was practically the only car on the road. We got to the restaurant and asked for a seat far away from the windows. By the time dinner was done, the storm was over.

Ok. So. So far this day had stressed me out. I better just go to bed and try again tomorrow.

I did my business the next day and was off to the airport home. Thank goodness. Unfortunately, I had a connecting flight to New York, but whatever. I made sure I got to the airport early. The flight was on time. Yey! I was almost home. As the flight time approached, the gate announced weather problems in Detroit (where my connection to New York was) and that the Omaha flight there was going to be held an hour. Therefore, I was going to miss my connection and ran the risk of having to stay over in Detroit for the night.

I called my travel agent. She told me to go to Detroit and take my chances. But as I thought about it, and waited more and more, I thought, “I’d rather stay the night here in Omaha, than in Detroit.”

I called my travel agent back, “Are there any flights out in the morning?”

“Yes, and it’s empty.”

“Book it Danno!”

I went back to the gate attendant. She was able to get me on that flight in first class. I was so on it. Made my way back to the hotel and checked back in, ordered room service, and a shuttle to the airport the next morning. 5:00 AM.

I didn’t order a wake up call, but set my clock alarm to what I thought was 3:45 AM. I know. That’s just wrong!

Crashed.

Alarm went off in the morning. 4:45 AM. By the time I actually noticed the time, it was 4:48.

What? I have to be at the shuttle at 5! I can’t believe I did that!!

I called down to the front desk to see if they could wait a few minutes for me.

“No.”

Shit!!

The next shuttle was a 5:30.

Damn!

I immediately started putting my stuff together and getting dressed. Maybe I’ll make it. Didn’t wash my face or brush my teeth. Got to the lobby.

5:03.

The shuttle left.

But of course it would.

Hopefully the 5:30 shuttle would get me to the airport in enough time to make the flight. I tried to order a cab. They told me a cab could be at the hotel within 20 minutes.

I forgot. This is definitely NOT New York. “Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore.”

3 comments:

  1. Great to see you're back blogging BSM. Reading your blog makes my day!

    So did the 5:30 shuttle take you to the airport on time for you to catch your flight? I hope you made it home peacefully with no more drama :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tom!
    Thanks for hanging in there! Glad to make somebody's day.

    Yes. I made the flight using the shuttle. No drama this time, thank goodness!

    My next post is funnier. At least I think so.
    Blue

    ReplyDelete
  3. 男にも女にも大人気のグッチ バッグならこちら!!2012春夏新作グッチ トート大人気SALE開催中!送料も無料!この大チャンスをお見逃さないよ!

    ReplyDelete