Thursday, April 22, 2010

Taxi Cab Confections



Once I went out with a New York City Taxi Cab driver. IN his taxicab.


But I got to sit in the front.


I was in my early twenties at the time. How’d you guess?


It didn’t last.


Here’s how we met.


Well, once I was out at a club in Long Island. (I was pretty much a party girl back then.) Although I admit, I dated my share of DJ’s, I really was never into the club workers (bar tenders, doormen, DJ’s, etc.). But one night a lighting guy caught my eye. I supposed I noticed him because he was in the DJ booth. (So much for that theory.) Really cute. I didn’t meet him that night.


Several months later I was at another club in Queens. (See, I told you about the party girl thing.) There he was, the cute lighting guy. I don’t remember his name. He wasn’t working or anything, just at the bar. So, somehow we met and hung out the rest of the evening. He took my number and called the following week for a date. He was so cute, of course I accepted.


So on the evening of the date, he shows up to pick me up in a yellow cab! I was like, “Who cares! He’s so cute.”


“Taxi!!”


He took me to the Hard Rock Café in the yellow cab. I was sitting up front. People were trying to hail him as we drove over there, even though he had his light off.


At the Hard Rock, we spotted Brian Setzer from the Stray Cats (an 80’s punk band). That was exciting. Taxi driver and I got along. He was really nice. He even drove me back to Long Island. No charge!


My girlfriends started to make fun. When I, or they would talk about him, they’d reach their arm out, point, and yell, “Taxi!” We all kinda thought it was hysterical. And it was! That private joke lasted years after Taxi was gone. Actually, ‘til this day.


We saw each other several times after that. I liked him, but I don’t think it was really going anywhere. I was doing a play in Manhattan. He stopped by the theatre before rehearsal one night, in the cab, of course. I went outside to meet him. He needed to get something from the cab.


Flowers. For me.


Hmm.


Normal women would have loved the gesture. But it freaked me out. Flowers have always have had that effect on me. But, he gave me flowers.


That was the last time I saw him.


Don’t know, was it the flowers? Was it him? Or was it the yellow cab? I guess I’ll never know. But it was sure nice having a personal limo driver for a couple of weeks.



No comments:

Post a Comment