Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Long Or Short Of It



I can’t decide!!


When I have my hair short, I want it long and when I have it long, I want it short. What is up with that? Why can’t make a decision? Why can’t I know which way it looks better? Why can’t I know which way I want it? Do I have ADD?

I don’t know, I think I might just like to change my look. I get bored with things and I need to change. That goes for shoes, clothes, nail polish, home decoration, and apartments.


I really like my hair short. I’ve had it short for most of my life. It’s really curly and thick. So when I was a child, my Mom always kept it really short because she couldn’t handle all of it when it got longer. I didn’t get longer, it just got bigger.


She let it grow out during the fall and winter months. Then, come Spring, Summer, she would chop it off. She’d come at me with my father’s moustache scissors and start snipping. She’d pull and snip, pull and snip. She did a really good job when it was done. But the problem was IT HURT! I don’t know why. I guess it was all the pulling and snipping. Man, when I’d see her coming at me with those moustache snippers, I started screaming and running. “Noooooooo! Don’t do ittttttt, Mom!!!!!!”


There was nothing I could do. She was a woman on a mission and wasn’t stopping ‘til my curls were on the floor.


Then, when it was all done, I would wait for Pop to come home from work. And I couldn’t wait for him to say, “My Blue Shoes is back!”


I loved it when he said that.


But I must have been traumatized, because now I have anxiety whenever I go to get a hair cut. I have actual fear.


As I mentioned, I have a lot of curly hair. I love my curls and keep it curly. I know the world is against curly hair. There’s a conspiracy against curls; blow driers, hair relaxers, Chinese treatments, hot irons. God forbid you don’t agree to have your hair blown out at the salon. The bitches screw your hair up if they can’t blow it out. They don’t know what to do with it. They just touch it and rub it to death until all that’s left is frizz. It’s a shame. Not to mention a waste of time and money.


I had my hair long and big in the 80’s. Then, everyone was getting perms; women and men alike. Even Bret Michaels. Everyone had a fro. The bigger the better. That was the first time I let my hair grow out. It wasn’t cute in-between, but fit right into the 80’s style.


I eventually went back to short several years later. Then, I got bored and grew it back when I read “The Rules”. It said a woman who wanted to get a man should have long flowing hair, so that they could toss it and that would made them be able to get a man to love her. Who was I to argue? So, I grew it back.


The only problem with that was, it was no longer the 80’s. I guess it was the 90’s by then and big hair wasn’t in. But my hair was big. It’s the only thing it knew how to be. Hair care products for curly hair were not good. They were only for straightening. I wanted to keep it curly. I’d tried the straightening, you know, blowing it out myself. What an ordeal that is. My arms would get tired and once you blew one part straight, the other part would dry frizzy. Then you’d have to wet it again, and then you’d start sweating. The sweat would make the straightened part frizzy again. Two hours later, I’d be so wet of sweat that I’d need another shower. So, my blow out days were few.


So that decision made itself. Don’t fight the curl!



No comments:

Post a Comment