Friday, May 28, 2010

Sex and the Shitty



I went to a midnight screening sneak peak of Sex and the City on Wednesday night. I wore these shoes.

Midnight?


Yep.


Oy.



My friend Yenta Hessa got the tickets. We went together. We thought it was a great idea. It was her idea. Meanwhile, who was asleep before the movie even started?


Yenta.


What the heck were we going to do until midnight on a Wednesday? So we decided to go for a late dinner. (I’d had to eat beforehand, otherwise I’d never make it.) Dinner was good. We had a Cosmopolitan before dinner, to get in the Sex and the City mode. And we had coffee after dinner, to keep our asses awake. We didn’t want to be snoring in the middle of an empty theatre at like 6 AM.


As I said, dinner was nice. It was like 500 degrees out. We sat outside at an Italian restaurant near the theatre. We thought we’d have a relaxing dinner. And we were. But all of a sudden we both heard whining. Where was it coming from? The table next to us. These two twenty-somethings were kvetching about God knows what. And they wouldn’t stop. It wasn’t just me. They were making Yenta Hessa crazy too. Then, a friend of theirs drops by. The friend has two dogs with her. What the…?


This isn’t the first time I’ve witnessed this. What’s up with people bringing their pets to restaurants? And what’s up with them being allowed in with their pets? I don’t get it!


I mean, don’t get me wrong, I love animals. But I don’t want them at my dinner party. For various reasons. Hair in my food, being one of them. A trip to the emergency room is another.


Listen, some people are very allergic to animal dander. My sister, Hadassah, has a serious allergic reaction to dogs and cats. If she’s exposed, un-medicated, she can’t breathe.


Finally, the lady with the dogs and the girls left. We thought they never would.


Yenta Hessa and I headed down to the theatre at around 11 PM. Yenta didn’t think there’d be anyone there. But sure enough, we weren’t the only sickos on the Upper East Side going to a midnight screening. Although, I was the only sicko wearing fuschia sequin stiletto Louboutin pumps.


We go in. Find a comfortable seat. And wait.


Suddenly, Yenta is snoring.


Oy.


I look around at the folks walking in. They were getting pretty rowdy. How old were they? They were all around 20! We were like the oldest ones there. Was that because the rest of the 40 year olds were too lazy to go to a midnight viewing? Or, was this the new SATC demographic? These people were 4 when the TV show first came out~!


By the time the movie started, the theatre was packed.


I had to wake up Yenta Hessa.


The movie was a lot of fun although a bit over the top. But, although I am a huge fan, I have a gripe. From the first scene of the movie, the boom mike kept popping in and out of the shots! Now, this didn’t just happen once. But even once would have been unacceptable. I mean, really! This is a huge multi-million dollar mega movie. They spent gazillions of dollars on the clothes and the shoes and Abu Dhabi whatever the heck. And nobody noticed that the stupid boom mike was popping in and out of every friggin’ scene? How could that be? I don’t get it. Why did me and Yenta Hessa see it, and SJP and Michael Patrick King totally missed it?


Somebody please explain this to me.


Gripes and shark jumping aside, this was a fabulous thing to do! I’m so glad I went.


The movie was really long. 2 ½ hours. I got to bed at 3 AM. My feet were killing me. They are still killing as we speak. But it was so worth it.


Don’t you think?


Now, I gotta go catch up on my sleep!!



No comments:

Post a Comment