Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Flood


Don’t even get me started about the flood. You’ll never believe what happened! Remember the snowstorm we had last week? Which snowstorm? I know. We had like 76 of them this winter! Well, it was the one that was two weeks ago.


I keep a car in the city, but I park it on the street. It’s a ‘95 blue Toyota, so it’s not worth garaging. But it’s a great, reliable vehicle. During snowstorms, I’d keep it parked on the street. Therefore, I’d have to dig myself out. Just before he died, my Pop supplied me with a snow shovel, sand, ice scraper, and brush. He told me to keep them in my trunk, so that I would be prepared in the event of a storm. Sure enough, I get good use out of these accoutrements, and keep them in my trunk all year round per my Pop’s request.


One time, after an ice storm, Mayor Bloomberg did not suspend alternate side parking for the following day. So, I had to dig myself out of ice. I was there for hours, ice picking, in order to move my car across the street, so that I wouldn’t get a $115 parking violation. I nearly broke my back doing it. Not to mention, ruined a perfectly good pair of boots!


P.S. the next day, Bloomberg suspended parking rules after all.


So, this time, I was going to be smart. I decided to garage the car the night before the storm so as not to have to dig out. The day of the storm, I stayed in all day. I was jonesing on the fact that I didn’t need to go out and dig or go to work the entire day. Just really being a bum on a snow day. I was writing, watching movies, working out, eating, etc. Then I got a call from the doorman, “Do you have a flood in your apartment?”


Looked around, “Nope.”


“Maybe you should check the bedroom.”


“Ok.” I looked in the bedroom, where I saw about two inches of water swooshing from the bedroom, to the bathroom, to the …. NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!


CLOSET!!!!!


Now, you gotta understand, I have a walk-in closet, with shoes lined up from floor to ceiling. Most of my shoes are displayed, not in boxes. They are so beautiful, it’s a shame not to see them everyday. I had around four pair of Manolos and Louboutins lined up on the floor level, and next to them another pair of Christian Louboutins in a box in a Bergdorf Goodman purple shopping bag. Those were shoes my sister was going to give me for my birthday. Silver/gold/multicolor glitter “Simple” pumps.


Everything in the closet was under two inches of water! I started picking up all the dripping shoes, and the soggy shopping bag and putting them on higher ground. I took the glitter pumps out of the bag and box to check on them. Fortunately, they survived.


Then I remembered. My overnight bag lying on the floor in my bedroom! I waded through the water from my closet to the bedroom, to the bag. My ankle socks totally under water. What was in the bag? You guessed it. More SHOES! I had a pair of black suede and Swarovski crystal ankle boots in there. Soaked. But what was also in there were the turquoise blue suede Manolo Blahnik pumps I purchased at the Bergdorf sale earlier this year. You may remember I talked about them in an earlier entry. Actually, they are the shoes on my feet on the title picture of this blog. OMG!!!


I took them out of the overnight bag. Checked. Somehow, miraculously, they were… dry. Ahhhhh! Thank God! There was only a tiny spot of wetness on them.


My green suede CL’s, however, were not so lucky. They were a casualty of the flood and were no longer green, but nearly black. Noooo. Pleeeeeease, make it stop!! Say it ain’t so. I kept finding thing after thing, shoe after shoe that were wet. Ugh!


Needless to say, I was freaking out!


Eventually, the building controlled the water and my sweet porter helped me dry out.


So, I escaped the storm, but I could not escape the flood.


I’m going to totally need therapy to get over the shock. Retail therapy of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment