Monday, March 8, 2010

Murphy’s Flaw


The other day, it was like I was cursed or something. EVERYTHING went wrong. It was a couple of days after the last snow storm we had. I guess it was only about a week and a half or go. It was getting warmer. The snow was melting. The storm was over. So things were good. Or so I thought.


It was a Wednesday morning. I overslept. I hate it when I do that, because when I do, the whole day seems to bo disjointed. I put on a really cute outfit; skirt, tights, and cute sweater, snow boots, and raced to the Second Avenue bus. On my way to the bus stop, my eyes started to tear. Didn’t think anything of it. But as I got closer and closer to the bus, they were tearing more and more. My eyes began to burn from my mascara. My nose began to run. I didn’t have a tissue. All I could do was envision what my raccoon eyes must have looked like. Decided to use my scarf as a tissue as things progressed. Then, as I dashed to cross the street to make the limited bus, I completely wiped out. I mean, one minute I was standing up and the next, I was on my butt, kissing the sidewalk. Do you think anyone helped me up? Nope. People literally walked over me to cross the street! I have the heel marks across my face to prove it.


Whatever!


I got on the bus. No seats. Of course. I was squinting and sniffing as my make up continued to drop down my face. I’m sure folks thought I was sad over a recent break up or something. I really needed to sit, but there I was, holding on. Mascara face. Eyes closed to ease the burn. I started to sweat. Had to take off my scarf and open my coat. Finally, a woman got up from her seat. I quickly sat down. Ahhhh. That felt good. So good I took a little snooze. They announce my stop. I get up and jump out of the bus. When the cold hit me, I felt a little chill. And a little, um, damp.


I felt the back of my skirt. It felt wet. I tried to look at it, but the skirt was dark brown, so it was hard to see. But I definitely thought it was wet. Was it blood? Oh, I hope not. I get to work and checked it out. Well, I was so wet. Wet. Through and through. So wet, that I had to change into scrubs. So, there I was in scrubs, no socks, and bright white flats. Oh, and I wasn’t bleeding profusely.


No socks; because i had no socks after I took off my tights. White flats; because I only had Prada and Gucci stiletto pumps and the summer white flats, in my drawer. Really cute, huh? So I walked around work all day like that, apologizing for my wardrobe malfunction to everyone all day.


The day was going fairly well. Until later on. I’m running a study, and had a participant coming in later that evening. He shows up late. He is such a sweet man, but he’s really slow. So, the session was taking very long. It was reaching 8 PM and I’d been with him since 5:30 PM. He had to leave before I was finished with him. So, then I had to re-schedule him so that we could continue another day.


I was getting tired of wearing my white leather ballet flats, so I wore my white furry winter boots for a while, without socks. Remember? Had no socks. I also wore them on my way home. So, at around 8:30 PM, after my exhausting stupid day, I made my way home. I waited for the bus for about 20 minutes in the cold, in my white furry boots with no socks. Got on the bus when it finally came. Sat down. Didn’t know if the bus was a local or a limited. But I didn’t care. Broke out my Blackberry and started playing a video game to just relax and forget about my day. At one point, I looked up from my phone. Glanced out the window. Nothing looked familiar and the driver’s announcements were not clear. The bus made a stop. I had no idea where I was!


I asked a woman, “What street are we on?”


“Um, I’m not sure. 89th Street.”


“89th Street?!?!? Oh no! I missed my stop!!”


I ran up to the driver. “What’s the next stop?” He’d just made a garbled announcement. “What did you just say?”


“99th Street.”


“99th Street? Oh crap! This is a limited bus.”


I waited til the bus stopped on 99th and got off. So, now what? It’s 9 PM and I’m still not home yet from my flawed day. Do I grab a cab or take another bus back twenty blocks, or, dare I say it ....... ?


... Walk????


I decided I didn’t wanna spend the cash on a cab, or walk. My foot was starting to hurt, with the stupid boots without socks. So, I walked to the next avenue to take another bus back in the opposite direction.


Are you kidding me? I can’t beleive this day! I just wanted to be home, warm, and cozy and put some damn underwear on!!


Of course I waited for the reverse bus for about 10 or 15 minutes. A nice woman started to talk to me at the bus stop. I told her my sob story. When the bus finally came, she said, “Don’t forget to get off at your stop.”


Thanks nice lady.


I didn’t forget.


But my feet were killing me. I home. Unlocked my door. (Three locks) Locked it behind me. Ripped my coat off. Followed by my scrubs and my boots. I thought I was home safe and sound. But my right foot was really bothering me. I took a look. There was a huge broken blister on the bottom of my big toe. Waaaaah.


I always thought that bad luck came in threes. But when the fourth thing wrong happened today, I knew I wasn’t done. I couldn’t wait to go to sleep to make it stop. I did. And it did. I wanted to wake up the next day and start all over to try to get it right this time. I did. And I did.


Now, if I could only get a do-over like that in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment